Sunday 18 September 2011

Introduction

Robin Lubach:
English Literature: A
English language: B
Maths: B
Philosophy and Ethics: B
Maths with statistics: C
Graphics: C
Sociology: C
Science: C
Additional Science: C
Drama: D (after failing the first section of coursework it slowly became harder and harder to drag my grade back up, after spending half my life at drama clubs and acting I found that coursework had infact killed everything I enjoyed about Acting)
I.C.T: F

Hobbies: Fencing and Watching as many films as humanly possible are my only real hobbies, one involves a large amount of physical strain and the other involves slightly blinding myself at 2am.

Print Media: I normally do not read the newspaper, I don't think I have ever touched an edition of the sun, I don't want to open it up and find that I actually enjoy it, after seeing the cover from afar I have decided that a much less biased source of information would probably be best for me. If I ever want to find anything out I just look up BBC news online. Most of the time I open a magazine is when I am still in the shop and looking for the recent film releases.

Radio Media: Radio, I doubt if radio left my life I would be effected at all. What I have picked up from radio over the years is one fact, It never stops airing, I don't have a favourite radio channel because I'm not ready for that kind of commitment, I know that in later life it will probably become a very good source of mass media and I will be very glad to own one in my car.

Music industry: Most children know a large amount of music because it is always surrounding them, my childhood sadly was not full of the musical industry, I was always quite surprised to find that I was so musically illiterate, in recent years I have started to listen to a few bands, and because of this I know longer feel like a dunce when someones iTunes library is turned up to full volume nearby. 
I do not belong to a Band but I have tried to learn an instrument from time to time, sadly every attempt at becoming a musical prodigy has ended with a quick trip to cash converters to see how much I can get for selling a clarinet, guitar ect.
The main way to access music is either by renting a cd from the forum or by rifling through internet sites until I find a cheap or free album. 
I know a large amount of people say that illegal downloading from the internet is morally wrong but from time to time it is the only way, I myself have never actually downloaded anything from the internet, but if I ever was put in a situation were it was an option I wouldn't stop to think "oh no, this is wrong, I'll just wait until I can pay 25p for this track". Many people claim that illegally downloading a bands music is disrespecting the band, but I think it is merely a way to cheaply listen to the music that they enjoy.
Belonging to a certain genre means you respect them, some people respect bands that dress in leather and because of this they intake a large amount of the culture and style, they then sew themselves there own leather suit to tell the word "yeah, I'm a fan of that band, you know the one, its called 'leather, pain, death and leather", I don't disagree with this at all, it allows people to become part of something and to give their lives a tiny bit more purpose, I myself don't follow a musical trend, but in a small way I wish I did.

Video Games: I know of a large amount of games and I know that they are quite highly thought of, but I do not play any of them, I don't play any games set in 1944 shooting nazis, and I don't like to hunt aliens in the future, In my opinion the best games will always be the originals, my favourite game by far would be Pacman, nothing will ever beat a sandwich in one hand and a joystick for Pacman in the other.

New technology: It will always be the most interesting part of any persons life, it is always improving in ways we would of never expected, even tribal villages deep in an unknown forest thrive on improving a spear into a bow and arrow. Every year we wait to see what the next iPod will do and look like and in a way I believe that technological improvement is probably the best thing that can happen to society. It can allow people who are giving up on life to blog about the puppy they lost as a child. It Allows everyone to meet people that feel the same way they do and it allows us to obtain large amounts of information from around the world, without technology and mass media, we would probably still be invading each other countries in a way to understand them and not googling it for 25 minutes as a bit of light reading. Bloggers and YouTubers have helped fill peoples lives for years and in a way bloggers are as influential as schools to some certain groups of people.

Television: It is always hard to decide what my favourite television channel is, normally I would say that Film4 is the best, because it is an easy way to watch films, but I recently realised that the best films are usually on ITV4 or E4 at midnight, for example 'The day of the Jackal" was on ITV4 last week. It was a very good thriller and it gave me a lot of ideas for how to successfully make a thriller of my own. Film4 barely ever shows a good thriller and is normally hurling top box office films from 2003 at you ever night.
From my childhood, very few TV shows stuck out at me. I don't watch much TV these days because the idea of tuning in every week to watch the next section of a characters life just seems so tedious. Pokemon is my fondest childhood television memory. To be able sit down with my brother and just receive an amazing image of a perfect world, was unforgettable. Of course the whole idea of Pokemon is animal cruelty, but that never influenced me in a way that made me want to kick my cat down a flight of stairs. 'The Moomins' is probably the only other television show that I think of as having a positive impact on my life, I don't know why I enjoyed it but it probably has something to do with the constant imagery of freedom.

Feature Films: My favourite genre is thriller but not because of the idea of the suspense. It is the aspect of a thriller that confuses me in such a way that only at the end of the film can a conclusion be made, that I like. This is because it usually means that the film stays with me for the next few days as I add everything up and makes sure that the film didn't have any loop holes.
Three Films that have stuck with me:
1) 'Triangle', quite a recent film, it wasn't particularly good, but its always stuck with me as a film to re-watch. The story is about a few people lost at sea who climb onto a boat and slowly get killed off. When all but one of them have been mysteriously killed, time jumps backwards and the crew lost at sea once again climb on board, as time goes on the only original survivor realises that in fact she killed the crew, and an eternal loop is created.
2) 'Groundhog Day' is probably one of the greatest films I have ever watched. Bill Murray plays a weather man who must constantly repeat the same day in a dull town blocked off by snow. At first he merely wrecks the town a few times, but in the end he realises that he just wants to make a fellow weather presenter love him. His constant attempts at connecting with her lead to him becoming so depressed that he kills himself repetitively. At the end of the film he does a good deed for everybody in town and creates the perfect day, the next morning he wakes up to find out that he is no longer living the same day and his life can continue. It is not just the story that is effective, it is Murry's reaction to every situation and how these change as things become more tedious.

3) 'Rushmore', it would be hard for me to not have a Wes Anderson film in my top three, once again a film where Bill Murray's droll facial expressions create most of the humour. A student and his adult friend both fall in love with a first school teacher and a small petty war is created so as to ruin the other friends life. after the student builds an aquarium on the school baseball pitch he is expelled and he must learn to let go of the teacher and school that he loved so much.


Film Consumption:
The best way of consuming films is by watching them alone on a computer, but I suppose Cinemas are very good for getting an all round experience. The Hollywood Cinema in Anglia Square would have to be my favourite due to the fact that it is so awful and cheap that nobody goes there but myself. The idea of sitting in the same room as loud irritable teenagers who throw popcorn and laugh at juvenile jokes normally means that the cinema is a last resort. I prefer to either be alone or with one other person when going to the cinema, when in large groups of people at the cinema I do not get to enjoy the film because I am having to pretend to find these tediously unfunny jokes hilarious as well. 

Media producer: I have never made a film before. I have of course spent a large amount of time acting and starring in films made by my brother but I have never actually made one. It has always been my dream however to either make a film or review somebody else's, This is the main reason I chose media studies, Not only do I constantly notice story lines that nobody has yet stumbled upon I am also pretty sure that there are genres that some people have not even discovered yet.

Conclusion: No film has ever offended me at all. The point of a film is the same point as that of book, to teach people about a possible situation and give them a better understanding on certain things. Films normally do not make me want to change who I am, they obviously have changed me subconsciously throughout my life because I have always been watching films and intaking the ideas they show. 
If I was ever to direct my own film it would hopefully be based on a philosophical idea. The idea of discovery and making the audience think through a situation that they are watching always has been an idea I wish to try.

2 comments:

  1. You say:

    Technology allows everyone to meet people that feel the same way they do and it allows us to obtain large amounts of information from around the world, without technology and mass media, we would probably still be invading each other countries in a way to understand them and not googling it for 25 minutes as a bit of light reading.........
    Unfortunately access to the internet has not stopped countries invading others..i.e. Iraq for starters!!!!

    A detailed and often amusing response though it would have been useful for you to identify (for example) why you specifically enjoy West Anderson's films. Have you seen "The Darjeeling Limited" (2007). It's a splendid Anderson film.

    I'm sure you'll enjoy planning, shooting and editing your thriller film.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Firstly after re-reading that I realise that I left some punctuation out.
    Secondly, the point I was trying to make was not that there are no wars but merely that the countries which are in wars are normally either taking advantages of countries without mass media or fighting a war because they have not had the same educated understanding of the world as other countries do.
    I have seen all Wes Anderson films and I find that his unique filming techniques make his films have a quirky edge, which make them more interesting to watch. For example in:
    "The Darjeeling Limited", the ending scene shows each characters personalised carriage in the train. This not only subtly shows how each character is connected to the next it also shows how the three brothers managed to bring there own lives and problems onto the train with them.

    I am looking forward to shooting the thriller, and I only wish that the task was to shoot a feature length film. It would not only be a lot more challenging but also a greater challenge.

    ReplyDelete