Wednesday 28 September 2011

Camera shots

Here is the very fashionable 'over the shoulder' shot.
Apart from allowing the audience to see from a 3rd point of view it also adds an affect of seeing the shot from first person.
Apart from mentioning the strange man walking along in the front, which we could of panned in on to add effect there is very little that the photo can explain about the 'over the shoulder' shot.





Here is the extravagant low angle shot. In my opinion, shooting from low to high is quite depressing because it not only makes the audience feel small and insignificant, it also physically does not show detail on enough objects or people to be very useful.
The only time I would personally use this shot is either when somebody is walking down a slope of some kind, or just generally falling down some stairs.







Here is the infamous High angle, well known for its affects of adding dominance. When shooting down from a high angle, the audience feels like they are in power, and normally that they know more than the character themselves. For example, if a high angle shot was used to track a man walking down a street, you would feel that you knew more, because the man being watched had no idea you were watching his every move.
I can see how high angle shots are useful and prefer them to the tediously dull low angle shots.



Birds eye view
In my own opinion I do not believe that this is a perfect birds eye view photo. Not only is it because i slightly slipped whilst taking it, but also because the main object in the photo (Lyndsey) is not in the centre and therefore we get slightly more of her left than her right. This really doesn't matter when it comes down to the photo itself, but being picky about this kind of thing just makes me feel better when I make mistakes.






And last but not least, my favourite of all, the worm angle. I would like to nickname this angle "The audience at my mercy" but i feel that it would be a waste of my time getting everyone to call it that swell. I say this because the angle itself shows that the persona is very vulnerable because they are so low down. This would be a very useful shot in any thriller or horror because, with a corridor like this, a character could proceed towards the camera before walking over it, this would not only induce fear upon all children watching the age certificate 18 film but would also make a very mysterious and effective scene.


There are a few shots that are not included like 'Close up', 'Extreme close up', and 'tilt', these photos were sadly lost but I believed that anybody who is reading the blog would understand easily what these camera angles are.
If we were to practice camera filming angles I would like to use the dolly technique. where the camera is wheeled on a dolly through the scene, this can be by tacking or by moving backwards through a scene as the character moves upon the camera.

I would also like to mention that the titles to each post have brackets including information because I originally used them in my first post to take some of my anger out on 3D films, which have in many ways ruined the beauty of old fashioned 2D films. Since the original post had brackets I decided that it would be morally wrong of me not to assign brackets to every other post.

1 comment:

  1. Some effective shots here along with your amusing evaluation of each shot. When you've become more experienced with the camera and analysed the effectiveness of low angle shots in connoting aspects of character you'll appreciate them more.

    ReplyDelete