Friday 25 November 2011

Possible case Studies

1) Reservoir Dogs (1992)
A thriller about several criminals who after a failed jewelery heist return to a warehouse only to begin suspecting each other of being a police informant. After watching this thriller I instantly went through all of the other Quinten Tarantino (The films director) films which had managed to navigate around my search for every film in existence. This film would make a good case study because within the 99 minutes that we are glued to the screen and seat, there is a perfect build of suspense and tension between the characters. The camera angles are also highly effective and I have already thought of 5 camera angles to include within my own thriller, they are not recreated shots from within the films because that lacks originality, instead they are shots which have entered the vast emptiness of my mind whilst I intake the film.

2) The second Film I could use as a possible case study is Memento (2000)
The film stars Guy Pearce as a young man hunting for his wife's killer, He suffers from short term memory loss and must use photos and tattoos to remember important facts about the man he is searching for.
The film is non linear and every scene we see is the memory of the scene before, this overlapping system leads to several different interpretations of the same situation. This would make a good case study because it slowly builds not only suspense but also because it keeps the audience thinking and would help teach me the techniques used to make a film more entertaining and gripping when watched.
3) I spent a long time thinking about what my third potential case study would be, at first I thought that 'The day of the Jackal' would make an interesting study. This idea was quickly removed due to several reasons, one reason is because of definitions. Language is always changing and therefore has changed a lot since 'The day of the Jackal' was aired in 1973. This therefore means that the film itself may not fit the modern definition of a Thriller. Another reason is because the film itself is hard to acquire and having watched it quite long ago I doubt that with just memory it would make a sufficient case study. Finally I narrowed my choices down until I decided that my third case study would be 'Inglorious Basterds'. The reason behind choosing another Quentin Tarantino film was because with my cravings for more of his films the only logical answer was to involve his most recent work. I believe that 'Inglorious Basterds' stuck out was not just because it was his most recent work, it was most likely because it was so far from his usual work. 'Inglorious Basterds' is set within an alternative history in which the Americans succeed in an attempt to kill Hitler. The film would make a good case study due to the situation of the Jew's hiding in Nazi occupied france, this creates excellent tension on stage, whilst also creating a surreal evil within the strong Nazi characters within the Film.

1 comment:

  1. A great commentary Robin and "Inglourious Basterds" would be splendid but you need to watch the film again and identify a clip which you can analyse and explain the purpose and effect of the way Tarantino either utilises, develops or challenges thriller conventions.

    ReplyDelete